1. Greetings Warlord!

Nice to meet you, my name is Eolande, commander of the Maiden's Faeries. Let me give you a warm welcome to the forum, a peaceful land where you can meet some other Warlords like you.
    Have we ever met on Aternum? I think I don't remember your name... you can click here to register a forum account so I will never forget it!

See you around!

Video DT battle with underpowered regiments

Discussion in 'Epic Battles' started by Mimi, May 2, 2019.

1. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 1

DT battle 2

DT battle 3

Just finished this DT battle 4 after 20+ attempts. The regiments I used are rank12 DG MF LA, rank11 DS, and rank10 TB. These regiments are severely underpowered for this fight but calculated positioning won the game with only 1 loss. Rank10 TB turned out to be the best tank for the boss compared to my rank12 DG and rank11 LP. DS was sacrificed at the end to bait/reposition boss. It was a honorable death!

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. Val

Val Member

Warlord Level:
    Grats. That's how complex can be fight in a game with quite simple mechanics. Beautiful)

Mimi likes this.
  3. Smiix

Smiix New Member

Respect! Realy extraordonary!

Mimi likes this.
  4. BlackAdder666

BlackAdder666 Well-Known Member

Wow, optimal strategy. I have done a lot of swearing when replaying battles, but on the other hand refining and retrying makes you a better player. Refine strategies over and over. And when are really good, you reach WL 23 and critical hits becomes a problem. Then you have to throw out all strategies and play like a coward to win :D

Mimi likes this.
  5. Hackuuna

Hackuuna Active Member

As TSG would say: two heads are better than one! For DT battle 4, Mimi and I came up with our strategy after careful consideration of these map conditions:
    1. The AI mages are too strong together so we couldn't be aggressive. Each mage was capable of almost one-hitting our regiments.
    2. The enemy archer complicates the fight because if it gets into the tower, it is capable for far range and high damage.
    3. Boss DT is so strong that no regiment other than a tank can survive more than one hit.
    Our strategy evolved into what you see in the video to tackle the above issues.
    • Splitting the enemy damage: It was necessary to split the enemy into two separate groups, which was the purpose the initial RoF. This is so the enemy archer will be against our LA/DG rather than against our DS/MF/TB. RoF also delayed the enemy archer from getting into the tower and the mage from doing its damage one turn.
    • The choices for boss tanking: DG takes extra damage from DT so the decision on who to tank comes down to LP and TB. Mimi's TB is not as upgraded as her LP, but LP's damage reduction doesn't kick in until DT is damaged, which would not help LP surviving the hits on turn 1. Therefore, we decided that TB would work best as the tank here and it could survive both the initial mage attack and DT's continued attacks. In addition, even though TB doesn't have as good armor as DG, the nature of the damage formula favors TB as a tank when he is in a forest. This is because the modifiers for damage reduction are additive (50% + 20%).
    • The DS tree is critical to success: We knew that eventually to kill DT we needed to get him next to our DS tree. Our DS served as bait for when that transition was necessary but before that transition we placed the DS tree to help kill off the mages. At the beginning we were debating which turn to put the DS tree down and decided that turn 1 would be best - so that our DS could help kill the enemy trees on turn 2 while we baited enemy mages into position to die from our own DS tree.
    • DG/LA battle on the left side: When DG/LA fight was facing the mage and its tree, we had to choose whether to use LA to attack the mage or to use LA to take out the tree. We decided that it's better to use LA to take out the tree and DG to attack the mage because (a.) DG could do more damage to the mage for he had a better crit weapon, and (b.) even if DG didn't crit the mage, and as a result took more damage from the mage, DG's retaliate would be useful to finish off the mage on the next turn regardless of the crit outcome (DG did crit that mage as we wagered). We could not use both LA and DG to attack the mage on that turn because the enemy tree would have dealt 40% of both DG/LA's health and the tree absolutely had to die first.
    Overall this recorded fight shows that good positioning is far more important than gear or stats. :) We find that fighting DT underpowered is very exciting because the boss heals, moves fast, and has lots of health.

Primer and Jin like this.
  6. Mimi

Mimi Member

For DT battle 5, I tried the strategy from @Val but my RR just cannot handle this fight at rank 9. I ended up using TB as tank once again, but this time for a completely different reason: my DG was unavailable due to its hour cool down after fighting GG earlier :cool:. Other than the initial few turns, most decisions in this battle were made on the fly. We decided to go into defensive posture once again and used similar tactics from battle 4.
    1. RoF to force the enemy archer to step into vulnerable position.
    2. DS sacrificed to "hodor" and keep boss in line.
    3. Repositioned/sacrificed LA to bait an enemy toward my DS tree because Hackuuna calculated that the enemy would go after my healing tree.
    4. To bait boss toward DS tree once again, we played against our intuition and hopped out of the safe tower - and this decision has probably saved TB from from being ko to a crit by moving into a forest.
    5. At the end, we went back into the tower instead of chasing boss to the healing village because we knew that MF could not kill the boss by herself in just 1 turn.
    All regiments used here are in the same ranks as they were in battle 4, but TB did have one additional soldier upgrade.

PS. Finally got to reference "hodor" properly in a sentence! Cheers! :p

Primer and Jin like this.
  7. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

A legendary warlord in the making. SIMPLY AWESOME!! Take a bow, @Mimi.

Mimi and BlackAdder666 like this.
  8. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 6 - according to @Hackuuna, this fight was pretty straight forward as he beat it on the first attempt (he did this fight without me, bad Tata!). However, I felt the opposite as I watched my three babies dying one after another in this fight.

Once again, the positioning was all about hodor-ing boss DT so that the DS tree can kill him slowly, along with all the other enemies. Hackuuna decided to use DG instead of TB/LP to tank for this fight because DG could sit in the forest while creating a "barrier" to hold boss in place.

I reached WL13 last night with my DS finally caught up to rank12. All regiments used in this fight are at rank12.

Thanks to Val, Smiix, BlackAdder and Jin for the kind words, and Arci for thinking that my battle 4 is worthy of the Epic label. @Jin's Reboot thread has inspired me to record some of my own adventures here in the world of aternum. I am updating my original post to include the first 3 DT fights so the videos would be in chronological order.

So it begins, my dear diary...

BlackAdder666, Jin and Primer like this.
  9. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 7 - won this fight by the favor of RNJesus!

Turn 1: We ran a few trial runs to see what regiments would work best for this battle. As always, DS is the key to victory. Initially MF, DG & DS were used, but we just couldn't get this combo to properly position the boss to where we want it to be. By chance, when we switched out MF for LA, we noticed an interesting AI behavior - our placement of RoF & LA movement were triggering the AI mages to place both of their trees away from our tank, and this was critical to our win.

Turn 2: We got lucky again as the order of the enemy attacks was not optimal for AI. It took all 3 enemies to kill TB on turn 2 when in reality they could have done it with just the 2 mages.

Again, all regiments used in this battle are at rank 12.

10. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 8 - a straight forward fight with no ranged enemies and 2 chokes. MF & DG rank13. LA & DS rank12. TB rank11.

BlackAdder666 likes this.
  11. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 9 - this is the same map as DT4. I used the same strategy of splitting enemy damage. Funny enough, I used DS to tank the boss just because he could :D. In hindsight, this fight could have been done better towards the end as I could have used my DG to tank the boss instead of LA and then DS. A better positioning could have kept everyone alive.

All regiments used in this fight are at rank 13.

BlackAdder666 and Val like this.
  12. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 10 - at my current ranks, gear and upgrades, battle 10 was probably as difficult as battle 4 if not more so.

With a combination of strategies used in the previous 9 videos and a little bit of luck, we finally beat this one after 20+ attempts. I assume Hackuuna will actually make some comments on this fight because this was truly an epic battle at my current regiment levels.

At one point we thought we've hit a wall of difficulty without acquiring better gear. My MF is at rank14, DG/LA/DS at rank13, and CA at rank 12, but not all of them are wearing stuff that's appropriate for their level. Both archers are still wearing green bows and DS still has a basic gray banner.

Video below shows the regiments used in this battle (just noticed that DG should have equipped that level7 blue/rare sword instead of the level1 purple/epic one for battle10):

Jin likes this.
  13. Hackuuna

Hackuuna Active Member

This fight was difficult with the level of gear and level of regiments used. With the weapons and banners we have the crits do not have much impact anymore so positioning is even more important than luck. After about 15 attempts we concluded that this fight could not be done with our level of upgrades but then we proved ourselves wrong by coming up with a combined approach.

A few notes about the combined strategies for this fight:
    • Baiting mage trees to exactly where we want them: Enemy mages are capable of one-shot DG so it was extremely important to delay their damage for a few turns while we take out DT. In addition, we positioned ourselves in such a way that the enemy trees would actually help us out much like one of our previous fights.
    • Splitting enemy damage: There is simply too much damage in this fight so it was necessary to sacrifice CA to split the enemy up by having her move into their damage range and isolate them.
    • Tanking DT: The reason DG isn't initially used to tank DT is because we needed LA to do some damage to the first enemy archer. Our goal was to take that archer down as soon as possible so that we could avoid it hurting our mages. Once DT comes over to attack LA he's in the perfect spot to die so DG then takes over tanking.
    • DS Tree placement: The DS tree was needed to kill the first enemy archer and to kill DT as well as weaken anyone else that got in range of it. In this fight it was extremely hard to bait everyone around the tree without them taking our people out with one-shots so towards the end of the fight we had to try to bait people to more favorable positions (like the 500+ mages going into low ground so that we could damage him faster).
    Overall this fight could be simplified if specific regiments had access to better gear but this fight shows that gear isn't everything. Watching DT1-9 videos will help anyone to understand where the approaches for this fight came from.

Mimi likes this.
  14. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 11 - easiest fight of them all so far. Only used 4 instead of 5 regiments here. All regiments used have leveled up to rank 14 while waiting on the cooldown for this battle.

Jin and BlackAdder666 like this.
  15. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 12 - another straight forward fight with only 1 enemy mage to worry about. Since it's a 2-day cool down in between each DT fight at this point, my regiments have mostly caught up to the battle level. This DT boss is at rank15 while my MF is rank15, DS/LA/DG are rank14, and TB at rank13.

16. GoldReaper

GoldReaper Active Member

Very tactical. Great job Mimi

17. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 13 - This is a scary battle: enemy archers have 540 & 348 soldiers, and Drrakha is a rank 15 boss. It would take at least 5 turns for my LA just to take down that 540 enemy archer by herself without help. I find fighting 3v3 underpowered is typically more difficult than a 5vX battle because there's less possible moves and I would have less people to sacrifice for the greater good.

Considerations for this fight:
    1. This map has no place for my regiments to hide, so they all had to dance around with the enemies to kite them into positions.
    2. DS tree was placed beside the tower because the rocks made it difficult to keep boss next to the tower.
    3. My DS and LA had to be sacrificed so that the enemy archers would not go after the DS tree.

In hindsight, I got unlucky on turn 2 when Drrakha crit my DG, but it ended up working out in my favor as it strengthened my retribution at the end. I also pivoted Drrakha around the tree so that I could retribution him from high ground for a bigger damage. DS tree wins the fight once again. Dark Shaman is definitely my favorite regiment for these fights. :) Long live the tree!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    BlackAdder666, Val and Jin like this.
  18. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 14 - This one is another duplicate map of DT4, but unlike the previous battles, this one requires only 1 tank instead of 2 (usually I have 1 tank on each side of map). Another thing I did differently in this battle is that rather than focusing on the boss as I usually would, I focused down the adds first this time around.

Two archers (LA/CA) were useful against the two enemy mages, and the 2x RoFs cut off Drrakha TWICE from the rest of his people, which made this fight relatively easy. My DS tree in this battle wasn't as significant as it normally is, but DS himself was an okay offtank here.

Boss Drrakha @ rank 15. My MF/LA/DS @ rank 15, TB/CA @ rank 14.
    I just reached 1k AP/fist power last night, and my regiments have mostly caught up to this battle level.

Val likes this.
  19. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 15 - the 3 enemy mages were a bigger threat than Drrakha, so I opted to do this fight with 2 archers and without a tank. The key to this fight is to keep the ai mages away long enough to pick them off one by one. My MF movement and DS's sacrifice at the end was to hold Drrakha in place so that it doesn't change position.

Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 8:32 AM
  20. Mimi

Mimi Member

DT battle 16 - the tricky part of this fight for me was to keep DG from getting one shot by the ai mages. Had to be patient and bait out the ai ToC before moving in on Drrakha. I only brought 1 archer because I wanted to have 2 tanks for the chokes and because I didn't want to lose the damage from my ToC against Drrakha at the end.