1. Greetings Warlord!

Nice to meet you, my name is Eolande, commander of the Maiden's Faeries. Let me give you a warm welcome to the forum, a peaceful land where you can meet some other Warlords like you.
    Have we ever met on Aternum? I think I don't remember your name... you can click here to register a forum account so I will never forget it!

See you around!

Harpy Cliffs PvP Discussion

Discussion in 'Tactics & Strategies' started by Gottspieler, Jan 20, 2018.

?

How difficult do you find Harpy Cliffs?

1. 1 - Extremely easy

2. 2 - Quite easy

3. 3 - Slightly easy

4. 4 - Neither

5. 5 - Slightly difficult

6. 6 - Quite difficult

7. 7 - Extremely difficult

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gottspieler

Gottspieler Active Member

Harpy Cliffs
    Harpy Cliffs.jpg

Tiles: 49
    Width: 9
    Height: 6
    Rounds for CV: 5
    Foe starting positions: I2, I3, H2, H3, I4
    In the beginning this map was nothing Special to me but since I've had lots of Problems with it in the last time and tried out lots of strategies to master it I want to discuss it with you.
    In the maps and strategies thread by lesterio Candle already posted a very useful strategy:
    Map with coordinates:
    Harpy Cliffs Gridded.jpg
    I will collect useful Ideas from the discussion in this starting post for easier Navigation.
    In this discussion you can post any Ideas, Strategies, screenshots or Videos concerning Harpy Cliffs and find out how to master this map.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. Gottspieler

The strategy in the spoiler doesn't work for me normally since riders most of the time start in Tile H3 and thus can damage heavily the mage in the swamp in B2. That's why I had to come up with a different strategy. I grabbed a Video of it and I want to share it with you:

Description of the strategy:
    Start:
    Mages in A3
    MF in A4
    Starter Archers in A5
    Two regiments depending on the enemy in A6 and A7
    First round:
    Mages on B2
    MF on A4 with ToH on B4
    Archers on C5 with RoF on F3
    Two other Regiments on B5 and B6
    Now the AI riders in H-line will attack the Archers in C5 but won't do much damage due to 50% from Rush and another 50% from forest. Addtitionally they will be healed up by ToH behind them.
    Second round:
    AI riders can for example be seize positioned out of the forest by some starter Pikes in C6 and Mages from B2 can use the cliffs in first three rows to get downhill bonus. This is where the strategy ends and the enemy can be finished off without many problems in most cases.
    Sometimes an enemy archer starting in I3 destroys this strategy with RoF on D5, in this case it was helpful to use two archers and place them in C4 and C6, two RoF on F3 and F4 block all enemy Regiments and they Can be annihilated.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. Candle

Candle Active Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    Yeah, strategy in the spoiler originally were posted by me and it works only if there are no archers/riders at enemy 1st line (H line in yours map coordinates) - most typical case at "low-med" levels while PvP enemy army usually consists of 5 "starter" regiments.

With enemy archers and/or riders at 1st line my strategy completely different. Haven't readily-available battle to provide screenshots, so will try to describe it verbally.
    Initial formation: mage, faerie, archer, crossbow, archer (a3 to a7 cells)

1st round:
    - archers move do D4 and D6 and RoF G3/G5, mage move to B2, faerie moved to B3 or B4 and plant tree at C5 or D5 if we got enemy archer at 1st line or jost move to D2 if not. Crossbow move to C6 or D5 - again, it depends on enemy archers at 1st line.
    - enemy force trapped by double-RoF, no RoF will be done by enemy archers, mine archer at D4 might get badly hit by enemy archers and lets hope it's not crit and outhealed by tree :cool:
    - if enemy have faerie at 1st line - good idea to change "usual" Physical protection armor on archers to Magic protection one

2nd round:
    - enemy rider usually move to forest at H6 and really deserve to get cripple-shot from crossbows at round 3 :D
    - mage, faerie move to line E and kill/badly hit enemies stepped to line G
    - D4 archer oftenly need more healing so just hugging faerie or tree, 2nd archer and crossbow might step into own RoF at F line to hit enemy archers staying at line I
    - in 3-4 skull battles - enemy archers staying at I4 or moved to I6 at this point still good-enough to do really nasty RoF and/or insta-kill my mage or faerie

3rd round: - too much possible options/states to describe it in details. Just cripple-shot strongest enemy regiment, kill rest enemies which still alive, try to heal own regiments, if possible. For 3-4 skull battle with archers/riders/faeries in 1st line - I'm rate fight as "hard" one and trying to postpone it till I can "afford" some major looses in my army - happy, if 2-3 my regiments got 1h resurrection cool-down and OK, if mage killed and need 3h to resurrect.

Encounter from yours video looks very easy doable by my tactics from spoiler - there are no enemy archers at all :rolleyes: (think I'm already mentioned "blocker trees" trick in "maps and strategies", but not all posts from old thread were copied to new forum). Just plant faeries tree at C3 - it prevent enemy rider from hitting yours mage at b2, moreover - it works as honeypot and will be killed by enemy rider, so yours mage still can move and use Nova at E2 or E3. and use crossbows (for crippleshot) instead of riders or shamans to care about enemy Toom-Path

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Gottspieler likes this.
  4. Gottspieler

Thanks for the suggestion, but as far as I remember, the tree would be shot down by foe LA moving to F1 and RR would hit SM bad anyways :( What do you think?

5. Candle

Candle Active Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    OOPS :oops: - map and enemy force on screenshot in initial post and video almost same, not noticed force in video quite different and have LA... and said "there are no enemy archers at all".
    Against riders+archers enemy force I use "double-rof" strategy described above :cool:

Gottspieler likes this.
  6. Gottspieler

Just grabbed another video using the same strategy from above and it seems to work quite well, since I was able to score a flawless victory on first try!

7. Gottspieler

Had a very hard battle against twin archers in H2 and H3 and DT, TB and SM in the back today and had to watch my strategy fail. Afterwards I tried your strategy but with Archers on D4 and D6 in first round they always get RoFed by the archers and that messes up the whole setup :confused: What would you do in this situation, @Candle ?

I'll try to add a video later to illustrate the problems

Problems with Archers in D4 and D6:

I finally had success with my strategy even though I lost MF and DS

Old video, normal fight with my strategy: (I just found it)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  8. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

After 3 or 4 tactical mistakes, I only have LA ko. I'm riding my luck so far.

I should have swap RP and MF starting position. I should have used FK instead of RR to get that 20% bonus on grassland hex. AI RP CC strike against my RP & TB didn't go off. MF managed to partially heal herself plus RR and RP.

Jesper likes this.
  9. BlackAdder666

BlackAdder666 Well-Known Member

This is one of my most hated maps. Almost always get 1-3 regiments on full timer. Then again, if I just ROF twice and stay back like a chicken I would do a better job, but I always hurry forward to kill archers and mages :(

10. Guru

Guru Active Member

Jin, you were lucky that enemy archer started in the first line, not in the second. Then things ussualy go a bit more tricky, especially if they have 2 archers...

Jesper likes this.
  11. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Come and see the so called 'lengendary' Jin's army got taken apart.:confused::p

2 AI archers plus a Mythical Armour cladded RR, TB & RP can really ruin your day. Before this PvP, I gone through 4×PvP (178, 178, 185, 187) without any regiments ko.

This battle is loaded with so many tactical mistakes that I don't even bother to list. Let this be a lesson of what not to do.;)

It's one of two PvP that I started with twin RoF and I sucky big time in knowing how to use them effectively.:eek:

However, in my defence, I got about 10 minutes to finish the PvP before my AM spawn time while cooking a very late breakfast.:D:D

Jesper and Primer like this.
  12. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

This 5v7 4S 198T PvP is against a warlords I forgot to record his/her name.

There are no tactic to speak of. I just 'kamikaze' it to see how long a MF with Full Physical Mythical Armour can survive without getting hit by critical strikes. This battle is so loaded with luck on my side that only LA is ko.

NoName likes this.