1. Greetings Warlord!

Nice to meet you, my name is Eolande, commander of the Maiden's Faeries. Let me give you a warm welcome to the forum, a peaceful land where you can meet some other Warlords like you.
    Have we ever met on Aternum? I think I don't remember your name... you can click here to register a forum account so I will never forget it!

See you around!

Regiment comparison

Discussion in 'Tactics & Strategies' started by NoName, Aug 10, 2018.

1. BlackAdder666

BlackAdder666 Well-Known Member

The most expensive regiments to upgrade will give most warlord experience, ie the orc/ogre/troll regimemts..

2. NoName

NoName Active Member

Actually, that’s not the case...

While GH cost a lot of gold to upgrade you get very little return in regards of WL XP, and the same goes with TSG & TPB.

Uijo, I did make a list on this, because I thought it would help me pick Regs, but it was really so close that is was an insignificant difference.

The LC gave the best WL XP for gold by a lot, so he was the only one that stood out, and then the starter guards lead the rest, so if you incorporate 1 guard you’re getting a very good bang for your gold in a lot of ways.

I like the LC, so that’s why included him in my top 12, the extra WL XP return was just a bonus.

The starter archers, pikes, riders, & mages are all so close that you can make up the difference in less than a week.

The orcs and giants really help you quite a bit in the early levels 1-12, but once they hit lvl 13 it’s worth your time to take a minute and pick.

Heroic Aura costing 650 for 11 xp a 59:1 ouch that’s a lot for 1 pt

OR,

Hardened Valewood Trunks costing 2200 for 42 xp a return of 52:1

OR,

Orgish Battle Feast costing 6000 for 100 xp 60:1

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    BlackAdder666 and Uijo like this.
  3. Uijo

Uijo New Member

I was thinking later on to start using TPB but the cost is a problem. Perhaps I could justify it by saying his total xp is significantly more than KG such that I save on XP potions. Will cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks again.

4. BlackAdder666

BlackAdder666 Well-Known Member

In general they give more wl xp. But there is yet not a list with exact ratios on cost vs wl xp. Someone with a lot of free time maybe will do this in the future...

5. Anton Amby

Anton Amby Well-Known Member

Personally I like TPB way more than any of the other Guardian regiments that are in the game as of right now, so I would almost certainly be upgrading him if I were to start over and wanted a tank in my lineup - It mostly comes down to preference though. :)

6. NoName

NoName Active Member

The order for who's gives the best WL XP for gold spent... *note: the number adjacent to the unit means you will spend that much gold on average to receive 1 WL XP. This is to level 23, so I would disregard this list, because if you're at level 23, then you don't need any more WL XP ;)

DG/KG 46.75
    LC 46.96
    RR/RT 46.98
    RP/PX/LP 47.00
    LA/CA 47.09
    SM/FM 47.13
    FK/DT 47.39
    DS 47.70
    MF 48.57
    TB 52.53
    GH 52.65
    TPB 54.13
    TSG 54.43

This is for units through lvl 18...

SM/FM 45.70
    DG/KG 45.72
    LC 46.32
    RR/RT 46.50
    RP/PX/LP 46.54
    LA/CA 46.59
    FK/DT 46.78
    DS 47.46
    MF 49.79
    TB 51.07
    GH 51.28
    TPB 51.59
    TSG 52.40

This is for units through lvl 13...

SM/FM 45.38
    LC 45.56
    DG/KG 45.57
    RP/PX/LP 45.69
    LA/CA 45.72
    DS 45.88
    RR/RT 45.93
    FK/DT 46.51
    TB 48.89
    GH 49.03
    TPB 49.39
    TSG 49.46
    MF 50.62

Sorry, I didn't do GG when built this list, because I built it before GG was released.

Again, it's so close this should not be a factor to pick Regs.

But, I'm glad I looked at it again, because I was wrong... actually the starter mages, guards & LC help the most.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Victorash, BlackAdder666 and Uijo like this.
  7. Loraykin

Loraykin Active Member

I assume it's 12th DS?

8. Suporex

Suporex New Member

This is very interesting. After creating all those list did you manage to create tier list for every class? This might be helpful for new players like me that have limited resources and could then decide in which units to invest and which leave for later as gold is a problem for many that made same mistake as me and put gold into forge...

Thanks man for your work.

9. Anton Amby

You should be picking your regiments for their abilities rather than just their stats. Even if a regiments has slightly weaker stats than another one of the same type, it can still be way more powerful because of it's active/passive.

10. Suporex

Suporex New Member

sure, but I mean someone experienced can use this list plus what they know about abilities and create nice tier list per class. I think that would be very helpful.

11. Anton Amby

May do this (I've made Tier Lists before), but the opinions on a lot of regiments are different from player to player. (for example some players love DT and others think he's in the top 5 worst regiments) :p

Mark Engle likes this.
  12. Suporex

Suporex New Member

That would be awesome. the list does not have to be for end game content so I think DT debate can be avoided. I was rather thinking for new players for example to know that for eg. (and this is eg only as I don't know anything about the regiments) new people can know to invest a bit in DG at start to go through the game but then stop when they get better guard regiment (higher tier) and invest there cause that will help in long run for mid game, or something like that.
    As well people would know what regiments are must get shard when you see them on sale or otherwise as they are top tier at any level of gameplay mid to end game. Stuff like that. Although I start to think that regiment itself is not everything as stars matter as well and probable some are better to get to high start faster then others but I don't know I am new here ;)

13. NoName

NoName Active Member

14. NoName

NoName Active Member

Guards: you need one

GH,
    this guy for some reason has been put down, spit on, and treated like the black sheep of the family; however, if you've played the strong holds regularly for the past month then you know how annoying it is to face multiple guards with the slam ability. Some days I wish I could have two of him. There are maps that used to be frustrating for me, and now with him in my top 5 well.. I'm happy this is a Reg. What he lacks is the fact his 30% archer def doesn't really help against the RoF, and he's the only guard without battlefield control.

TPB,
    he's expensive to upgrade, does the least amount of damage of all the guards, but you can count on him to pin down units, frustrate them with surface damage from his whirlwind attack, and take a beating from any physical attacking Reg. In 1S, and some 2S battles he can wipe out enemy armies with one attack, but the same goes for GH slam.

KG,
    this guard works well with his fellow Reg, he has the best battlefield control, because not only can he pin down an enemy against a border, but he can also do it in the middle of the map with his lock ability. Additionally, while his lock does an additional 20% damage, the more important part is that a locked enemy takes additional 20% damage from all your other armies that round.

DG,
    there's and up/down opinion on this old cook. Like the aforementioned his battlefield control is useful, but like any old timer when he's had enough of your (expletive) his Retribution ability is ever bit as good as TB Critical Strike. Which can come in handy when clearing the Orcs fortresses, and what not.

You can't go wrong with any of these Guards... but in my opinion you just need to pick one.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  15. NoName

NoName Active Member

Pikes: you need one starter pike

RP/PX, there's nothing bad to say about them. They are very easy to use, and come in handy when you need to huddle your Armies, because that's the only time they get the 10% bonus to dmg & def from every adjacent friendly unit, so they could have a 10, 20, 30, or 40% boost. They are very useful throughout the duration of this game. The seize position ability can really swing a battle in your favor. Pick one of them and keep it in your main Army.

LP, I'm not sure why he's has been deemed a monster slayer, specialized Reg, or only useful in certain situations, because I use him all the time. His impale can be used on the first round, or you can save it for the enemy with the most soldiers. Additionally, his embrace the pain taking 20% less damage from weakened enemies very useful, you just don't see it until you run him a lot congruently with a starter pike, and then this is apparent why he's still doing more dmg after taking a hit.

TB, I understand the excitement of taking down an enemy in one shot, and his devious step is very good; however, I worked to build him up in the beginning, and mid-game... only to get the feeling it's best to just wait, and incorporate him later.

You need to pick two of these pikes, and one of them needs to be a starter pike.

16. Anton Amby

It's important to note that if you're still very early in the game upgrading any giant regiments probably isn't a good idea since they're expensive. (Giant regiments being TB, TPB, TSG, GG and GH)
    I will be making another Tier List somewhat soon with 2 parts: one for newer and one for older players, may take some time though as it's a lot of writing while also keeping up with real life :p

Honestly the best way to build a army is probably to just ignore the Tier lists and everything that all of us old Warlords say about regiments and instead try them out yourself to get a feeling for how they work - It helps you find out which regiments you like and it's also way more fun. :D

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  17. NoName

NoName Active Member

Riders: you need one

RR/RT, there's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. They can pretty much move anywhere on the map, but the problem is if you push them in too far, then prepare for that rider to spend a lot of time on cool down, because the enemy will likely turn his horse to glue. I often use their Rush ability to polish off an enemy late in the battle, or retreat them to a healing village. The Cav Charge is very nice to have just to get that enemy off an advantageous hex.

FK, Master of the plains a very good rider in a lot of situations. Every non-pike Reg he attacks on any plain tile (not bridges, towns, swamps, woods, or towers) he simply does an extra 20% dmg. This guy is GH & TPB worst nightmare (because of the additional class bonus the FK gets for attacking guards), he can take a hit better than RR/RT, cost a bit more to upgrade, but it's fun to finish off almost every enemy with less Soldiers than him with the Monster Slayer.

DT
    , unfortunately he just doesn't do that much dmg, so in turn when he heals for 100% base dmg. The appeal to heal becomes a little meh. However, when you're lucky enough to get in blood frenzy mode he can heal quite a lot; unfortunately, now that he's healed up he takes an extra 20% dmg, so it takes a lot of rounds to get him going, and when you do the battle is almost over.

You need one, but of the four I would only pick RR, RT, or FK... I have incorporated DT as a misc Reg to have some variety, but if you picked a second rider for misc... I would lean towards the aforementioned first.

18. NoName

NoName Active Member

Archers: you need one starter archer, and a back up

LA/CA, nothing really needs to be mentioned here... everyone has one, and knows how to send a mage on it's merry way. Although, I do believe it's worth mentioning that if you overlap your RoF it does damage from both archers.

LC, well he's inexpensive to upgrade, you earn a lot of WL XP for the gold spent, he does slightly more damage than a starter archer, and is very easy to acquire shards. His cripple shot is useful, but nothing worth bragging about. He's just a solid Reg.

GG, she's expensive to upgrade, but when you spawn your first goblin on a mage with a CC hit you're hooked on this Reg. After you play this Reg for a month, or so, you'll just know when & where to send those goblins to their demise. Some may see her 5% Battle Craft as not that great. But, someone really knew their numbers when they added 5%

It's doesn't matter which two you pick, but one needs to be a starter archer.

19. NoName

NoName Active Member

Mages: you need a MF

MF, while the Reg comparison list shows she's not high on the dmg chart. You have to remember she does magic dmg, and gets the class bonus against guards, pikes, and riders. Additionally, since she can fly & you can easily put her in an elevated position granting her another damage bonus.

SM/FM, again a bunch of WL XP earned for gold spent, can do a ton of damage, but need to change their pants when they face archers. The Lighting Nova is a lot of fun against 1S & 2S battles, and it's pretty funny to watch the last enemy with few soldiers terminate himself from Counter Shock.

DS, even with the Battle Craft he doesn't do as much damage as the other mages, but it's still magic damage, so you're getting more than a standard phys attack. His tainting presence is really just an annoyance for the enemy. It's the Tree of Corruption that's his money maker. Amongst all the mages planting the tree gives him the best range, and on some maps you'll watch it work for three rounds.

TSG, his mobility is just too much to over come for me. I really enjoy it when I face PVP TSG, partially because I admire the Warlord who worked so diligently to build him up.

Pick two of these, and one needs to be the MF

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  20. NoName

NoName Active Member

Summary...

1. Pick a guard
    2. Get a starter pike
    3. Pick a second pike
    4. Pick a Rider
    5. Get a starter archer
    6. Pick a back up archer
    7. Get the MF
    8. Pick a back up mage

9 & 10... just grab two more Regs you like, and play the game how you want, because with this list of Regs you're prepared to face any combination thrown at you.

Happy WarLording

Jin likes this.