1. Greetings Warlord!

Nice to meet you, my name is Eolande, commander of the Maiden's Faeries. Let me give you a warm welcome to the forum, a peaceful land where you can meet some other Warlords like you.
    Have we ever met on Aternum? I think I don't remember your name... you can click here to register a forum account so I will never forget it!

See you around!

Stupid question : damage vs attack stat

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bacchuse, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Bacchuse

Bacchuse New Member

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum, but have looked and didn't find any anwer to my question : what is exactely the difference between attack and damage statistics ?
    The information in-game states that damage is what the unit will do to the opponent, and attack says it is what will really be done on the opponent, taking into account his defense. Several questions :
    - Why improving damage doesn't increase attack statistics ?
    - How can you state a value for attack when it depens on the defense of the unit you attack ?
    - In practice, which one will count when attacking an ennemy ?
    Thanks for explaining me how this works.

Dezytrius and Guru like this.
  2. Mark Engle

Mark Engle Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly sure of the official calculation, but your OFF value is compared to the opponent's DEF value to determine what % of your regiment's DMG is applied.

Dezytrius likes this.
  3. Jesper

Jesper Well-Known Member

OFF is compared to DEF to get to a factor which the resulting damage is then multiplied with. If they are equal then this factor is 1. But it's not just a linear comparison, i.e. 5 times higher OFF than DEF does not result in 5 times higher damage. The exact formula has not been shared by the devs AFAIK.

Dezytrius, Guru and BlackAdder666 like this.
  4. Bacchuse

Bacchuse New Member

Thanks for your answer, but it doesn't answer my questions. I just added 103 damahe to my Tompah, and it didn't add a single point of atack, which seems to improve only when promoting a regiment or when I change the inventory. I think both are not realated at all, but it doesn't help me to answer the main question : whioch one is important, or if they just stack, but in that case why make 2 different statistics.

5. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

I beg to differ, @Bacchuse.

Warlord Jesper did answer your question in his very first sentence:"OFF is compared to DEF to get to a factor which the resulting damage is then multiplied with."

Both OFF (attack) & damage are important and they are definitely related. Without OFF, the AI can't calculate how much damage to apply to a regiment.

For example, the OFF of an attacking regiment is compare to the DEF of a regiment under attack. The factor of the comparison is then multiple by the damage value of the attacking regiment to see how much damage is applied to the regiment under attack. The exact equation of that calculation is not reveal to us by InnoGames.

I remembered in the old forum, there was a game where we were ask to guess the damage inflicted on a regiment and which ever warlord has the closest answer got diamonds as reward.

Hackuuna, Guru, Zancudo and 1 other person like this.
  6. Victorash

Victorash Active Member

1. adding damage won't modify attack (offense) in the stats, but will modify the overall result when you attack - so you'll do more damage to AI units
    2. attack (offense) improves when promoting a regiment in star level and when you equip a banner
    3. from my point of view all stats are important, but you'll raise them anyway as you have to upgrade troops with shards and upgrades and as you level up you'll get better items and so on. The only thing you can decide is what upgrades to apply first - offensive type or defensive type. but I wouldn't stress it too much as this game is not that strategic to really count. what it really counts here is to invest more hours to play - this is the only effective way to raise your stats.

7. Timoteo32

Timoteo32 New Member

How does number of soldiers factor in?

8. Bacchuse

Bacchuse New Member

When you attack, each soldier attacks, so the damage is number of soldiers x damage/attack. When you are hit, it will kill a certain number of soldiers (globally damage done / health feach soldier), so the remaining ones can attack. In the end, increasing the hjumber of soldiers makes your offense and offense better, and is a very efficient way to improve your army :D

9. Timoteo32

Timoteo32 New Member

So that's more or less what I thought. But I meant specifically with the math above, is it more complicated than: I have half as many troops left so they do half as much damage?

What Jesper said above makes sense mathematically, but if it's that simple, it still doesn't really make sense to have 2 different stats to calculate one number.

10. Mark Engle

Mark Engle Well-Known Member