1. Greetings Warlord!

Nice to meet you, my name is Eolande, commander of the Maiden's Faeries. Let me give you a warm welcome to the forum, a peaceful land where you can meet some other Warlords like you.
    Have we ever met on Aternum? I think I don't remember your name... you can click here to register a forum account so I will never forget it!

See you around!

HOT TOPIC Warlords Newbies

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jin, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Hello @Tyler Schroeder. Welcome to the Warlords Community.

The answers to your profile post are in this forum. If not, I'm absolutely certain that warlords Candle and Lesterio (Did I forgot to mention Anton Amby??!!:eek::eek::p:p) will be able to answer any queries you have about tactics and strategies in Warlords.

ATTENTION:
    NEW PvP WAS INTRODUCED GRADUALLY FROM 24-02-2018 SO ANY THREADS OR POSTS REGARDING THE OLD PvP BEFORE THIS DATE IS MOSTLY IRRELEVANT!!

The following 2 threads are more up to date especially for early stage of WoA.

https://forum.warlordsofaternum.com/index.php?threads/woa-reboot-newbies-guide.9771/

https://forum.warlordsofaternum.com...ls-and-tribulations-for-the-new-player.10275/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Abril and LORDofLORDS like this.
  2. Anton Amby

Anton Amby Well-Known Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    General Rules for 'newbies':
    1. Try to focus your upgrades on 3-5 regiments. The most usual combo is to run Mage, Archer, Pike, Rider + Mage/Archer/Rider. (a lot of people starts using Maidens Faeries and Dark Shamans once they get them too) - But there's also a lot of other army combinations that work well so it's mostly up to what you feel like playing. (other popular combinations that I see a lot are 2x Mage, 2x Archer + 1 other regiment and 2x Riders, 2x Archers and 1 other regiment)
    2. Don't use Guardians - They're generally weaker than most of the other units in the game. (because of their high health-low damage nature they're harder to achieve Crushing Victory with, which is what the game is revolving about)
    3. Don't spend money on things from the merchant in the start - they're too expensive and you'll get most of the stuff he's selling as you progress in the game either way. (the only thing I ever buy is the +10 soldier upgrades because they're needed for a large amount of the current units.
    4. Until you progress more into the game don't spend gold on the regiments that require Mythical Volunteer upgrades as they'll end up being far more expensive than the normal ones. (and most of them are quite bad atm)
    5. Make sure that your units deal enough damage compared to their hp, some new players get stuck because they level up the hp of their regiments too much.
    6. After you've cleared all of your PvP fights (or the Loot Wagon fight) it takes 2 hours before they'll apear again, you can use the Sky Arch as a timer.
    7. Don't upgrade the Sky Arch, it costs far to much for what it gives back. :)

Lastly here's a bunch of links for great threads to read (both for newbies and more experienced players):

- There's lot's of other great threads out there too, these are just some of my favorite ones. :)

3. Lesterio

Lesterio Active Member

Anton Amby did a very good job summarizing tips for various aspects of the gaming experience!
    I would like to add several thoughts about the issue of farming/spending dimonds.
    Farming:
    *Unless you are not very rich I would not spend money to buy dimonds beyond the starter pack. At this point they are way too expensive for what you can do with them.
    There are four main ways to farm dimonds, which are complementary and not mutually exclusive.
    1. PvP. You gain dimonds for climbing up on the season leaderboard. This is the most demanding way, which requires a lot of time, but it is also highly rewarding if you can get to the top 5. For the first 3 spots you gain 2000, 1500 and 1200 dimonds respectively. You also gain 100 dimonds for entering the dimond decision. It is enough to win 161 trophies during the whole season. So I would highly recommend to do this even if you are not a big PvP fan.
    2. LW. There is about 30% chance to get dimonds for picking a chest in the special (black) battle that respawns every 2 hours. Most frequently you get 10 or 15 dimonds but there is some chance to get 50 and 100 also.
    3. BI. You get between 5 to 20 (random) dimonds for completing every level. If you didn't complete a level with a gold medal (lost at least 1 stack or won it without a CV) you can redo it again next day. You can intentionally leave 1 low level for the dimond farming. Just don't complete it with the gold medal and come back for additional dimonds every day.
    4. Merchant ships. Candle calls this way a "merchant ship lottery". You can get some dimonds for spending your daily gold income on buying merchant ships. If you spend about 30k gold you get about 30-40 dimonds. There is also a good chance to get 50 dimonds in 1 pile. I would not recommend to do this on the early stages of the game. But once you have the upgrades for all regiments and 1 mil gold on your account, it is a nice way to gain more dimonds. But be careful, this lottery is highly addicting ;).
    Spending:

*I would not recommend to spend dimons on anything but shards!
    1. Imperial ships. A regular imperial ship brings you 15-20 shards and some chance for 100k gold.
    2. Smuggler ships. You can buy 9-10 smugler ships for the dimonds spent on one imperial ship. There are pros and cons of such a purchase. Candle strongly advocates for it and I am still ambivalent. Probably, on average you can get more shards from smuggler ships. You can also spread this purchase over several days enjoing it longer. But when you buy one imperial ship you will definitely remember this purchase! Saving dimonds for a few weeks and then gaing all these shards in one click is very exciting (or very disappointing :(). Thus, from the psychological point of view imperial ships can be more rewarding ;).
    3. You can wait for a 20% discount on 5 shards in the shop and buy them their. For one imperial ship you can buy 20 shards and there is no lottery - you know exactly what you are buying. Personally, I don't like this way. I prefer to have a lottery with all the excitement it brings. But if you are not a gambler and prefer certainty, go for it.
    As I said before, I would not spend dimonds on recovering regiments or rerolling battles. Do the hardest battles before a break not to bother about losses. And be patient to wait 24 hours to reroll a nasty battle again.

Good luck in farming :cool::cool::cool:!

4. Candle

Candle Active Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    Actually "merchant ship lottery" give me 2-3 times more diamonds :p:

And 50 diamonds pile appears like once per 40k gold spent. From selling items/upgrades I don't need - I get back ~40% of gold spent.
    So in long run 100 diamonds cost me like 25-30k gold.

Items/upgrades you get from (merchant) ships depends on yours army. Numbers above for my 4**** army - x8 level 23 (rest are level 20+), 1 5***** and 9 4**** (rest are 3***) and ~9mil total AP. Haven't numbers for my level 14-16 2** army, but definitely getting much less epic/legendary/mythical upgrades there.

Spending diamonds - my main priority is shards ofc - keeping ~500 diamonds readily available to buy x5 shards with discount and everything above it spend for smuggler ships.
    Also upgrading legendary/mythical items take lots of time, so if I'm about going to sleep, but 1-2h still left till current upgrade finished - I'm usually spend 10-20 diamonds to finish current upgrade and start another one.

Edit: copy-pasting my response in other topic to keep related "guide-type" posts here:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    IceArms and Jin like this.
  5. Mortis07

Mortis07 New Member

Thanks for all the info above.
    There is something i don't understand.
    What is the point of "offense"? If i equip with a banner that has higher % of crit, the offense goes down but the dmg done is the same? So, high crit lower offense or low crit but higher offense?

6. Anton Amby

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    Offence: The attacker's Offense is compared to the target regiment's physical or magic Defense (depending on the attack's type, obviously) and the ratio applies a multiplier (>1 if the offense is higher and <1 if the defense is higher) to the inflicted base damage. Long story short - it's part of what determines how much damage you will do when you attack.

Whether you choose to run high-crit + low offence or low-crit + high offence is mostly a personal preference. :)

7. Mortis07

Mortis07 New Member

Ohhhhh.....thanks!

8. Mortis07

Mortis07 New Member

Just wondering...
    How do u guys train up your low level units? The 2star AI enemy is usually very strong with above 1000 units per group.
    I find i have to always mix my top level units with 1 or 2 low level. Is that the most efficient way?

9. Candle

Candle Active Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    Hi, it were discussed in details in this topic: XP farming?

10. Mortis07

Mortis07 New Member

Got it. Thanks!

11. Gottspieler

Gottspieler Active Member

Two Questions:
    What exactly is "Gear swapping"? It's referred to a lot in the Forum and seems to be used a lot but I've never read an explication to what it actually is.
    And why would one want to Keep offense high and HP low? Seems like that's also a common tactic here.

12. Anton Amby

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    Gear Swapping is (as the name suggests) to swap around the equipment on your regiments in order to change the ''skull-count'' of your opponents. - I remember there being a more detailed post about it on the old forum, but I believe it wasn't transfered here because gear swapping is something most players would wish wasn't part of the game. :p

Offence is part of what determines how much damage you do, and not upgrading your hp as much as you can means that you'll be facing less strong opponents (which means that you'll be dealing more damage) - Due to how the game is all about trying to win as fast as possible right now (because of CV) it is optimal to increase your damage output to finish your opponents faster. (and at times one-shot them) :)

13. Lesterio

Lesterio Active Member

Gear swapping is a commonly used strategy in PvP battles. Most PvP battles are originally 1 or 2 skull. To get more trophies players want to increase their difficulty to 3 and 4 skull. Thus, when the battles are spawned, players replace their fully upgraded items by less upgraded or items of a low level up to common (white) items. This reduces the army power and increases the battle difficulty. Usually you don't have to replace all the items. You may want replace last the items that affect your attack. I usually start by replacing body armored. If it is not enough then weapons, and banners go the last. Once again, you don't have to replace items on all you regiments. So I my strongest regiments (mages) are the last in turn to swapping.
    All upgrades, items, etc affect your army power and your ability to fight. Uphrades that add damage and offense banners has the most direct effect on how efficient you are in killing opponents. Usually in battles you attack more than you suffer from attacks. Thus when you keep your damage higher and your HP lower, you are more efficient. For example, a regiment with 300 damage and 1000 HP will meet the same opponent as a regiment with 200 damage and 1500 HP (it is just an example and I don't know the actual effect of damage and HP on the army power). The first one will be more efficient in killing than the second one. Thus, some players intentionally apply less upgrades that increase HP and invest more in the upgrades increasing damage.

14. Gottspieler

Sounds quite complicated but now I get how you manage to get up to 3000 Trophies per Season :eek:
    Nothing for me though, I guess, anyways it seems like it's just a matter of time till this method is going to be history due to the upcoming changes in the PVP System...

15. Drenyll

Drenyll Member

Yes I also do not understand how the other players do to win so many trophies. I win only 2 or 3 trophies per combat. I am at level 6. Is this normal ? By changing the equipment, how much can I win extra trophies ?

16. Anton Amby

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    If you're getting between 2 and 3 Trophies per fight then you're either doing only 1-skull and 2-skull fights (in which case you should be re-rolling them) or not achieving CV.

1 Skull: 1 Trophie + 1 for CV
    2 Skull: 2 Tropies + 1 for CV
    3 Skull: 4 Tropies + 2 for CV
    4 Skull: 5 Tropies + 2 for CV

I don't know how much it changes at level 6 (too long since I was there) but I can get the skull level up by one (which is a big deal, 2 -> 3 skulls is doubling the amount of Tropies earned) if I use it (although I don't really have time due to learning 3D and coding) :p

17. Primer

Primer Well-Known Member

Another key is to maximize your respawns. When I first started if I had my best units on a one hour cooldown I would fight another PVP as soon as they were recovered. This is not optimum.

PVP will respawn 3 battles every two hours. Timer resets if you complete another PVP battle. Fight your battles in bunches and if you have to wait for a cooldown, just wait a full two hours to get more battles spawned. If you really want to compete, wake up every two hours during the night and fight a battle to keep the spawns coming. I did it once and managed to finish top ten, but it took a lot of effort. Won’t do that again.

18. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

G'Day @Drenyll & @Gottspieler.

Being successful in PvP requires lots of effort and strategic planning during season and off season. I do have a basic guide in lower half of page 1 in the Wannabes thread.

In the off season, make sure you always start with a maximum of 22 PvP, preferably with majority of them 3S/4S. You can then reach the Diamond Division in 1 to 1.5 days.

During season, reroll all 1S/2S PvP and using gear swapping to get 3S/4S. Try not to battle any 1S/2S as long as possible. Make sure you don't have more than 13 unclear PvP before you go to bed. During my PvP days, I try to battle PvP in no more than 15 minutes session to maximise my respawn rate.

It's still possible to dominate PvP using a TH army set up. Don't promote regiments beyond 2*. Only upgrades unit numbers, damage, gold earning rate, health recovery rate and minimum HP. Please beware that you'll have lots of BORING & EASY PvP battles.

Good hunting!!:):)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Gottspieler likes this.
  19. Gottspieler

For me there are more fun ways to play the game o_O:eek:

20. Drimz

Drimz New Member

Hei im newbie but i must disagree with "dont use guardian". Guardian has highest HP, fine damage. When they are dying they can unleash powerfull attack. They even can one hit kill mage with full health