1. Greetings Warlord!

Nice to meet you, my name is Eolande, commander of the Maiden's Faeries. Let me give you a warm welcome to the forum, a peaceful land where you can meet some other Warlords like you.
    Have we ever met on Aternum? I think I don't remember your name... you can click here to register a forum account so I will never forget it!

See you around!

What are the best units?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ZappaUrBeefheart, Jun 7, 2019.

1. ZappaUrBeefheart

ZappaUrBeefheart Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    None
    So far I’ve spent most of my upgrades on the first 5 units. I’ve unlocked 3 others, but I mostly use them for expeditions. Are there certain units that are must haves? Are there others that aren’t worth the trouble? Are they all fairly balanced?

Any advice would be appreciated.

———

2. RasClart

RasClart Active Member

Directly above this post is a sticky which answers all those questions & more.

Warlords Newbies, written by Jin.

I suggest u take a look at that thread. There’s a very good reason why it’s there.

Pyrrhus likes this.
  3. ZappaUrBeefheart

ZappaUrBeefheart Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    None
    Ok. Thanks.

For the record I did google this topic, and I also read most of the related threads on the tactics board.

———

4. RasClart

RasClart Active Member

Kudos for making the time & putting in all the effort. That’s a great attitude & is exactly what this forum is all about.

As u’ll find, Jin’s guide really is the answer to all ur questions.

I found it incredibly helpful when i started playing last September. I know u’ll find it to be the same.

It is a bit different levelling now of course because of the changes made in April but the same principles apply and knowing Jin, he’s probably addressed that in there anyway!

When ur ready to join an alliance & do quests, check out Celtica & send me a pm if interested.

See u in-game!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  5. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your kind words @RasClart.

@ZappaUrBeefheart. Any chance of you posting a screenshot of your army here or in the 'WoA Reboot' thread? I may have a better idea how to answer your questions if I know your army combo.

6. Anton Amby

Anton Amby Well-Known Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    Imo the only must have regiments are MF and GG, other good picks would be TB for late game, starter archers (LA/CA) and DS - But it's mostly up to how you enjoy playing the game.

Pyrrhus likes this.
  7. ZappaUrBeefheart

ZappaUrBeefheart Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    None
    Thanks. I appreciate the help as well as the invitation.

Right now I've only been using the first 5 units that players unlock. I must say I'm a little disappointed to hear that Guards are not recommended, since they are one of my highest ranked units. On the plus side, I have unlocked the Maiden's Faeries, but have yet to spend any upgrades on them. I also unlocked another archer unit (League's Crossbows), but they don't have the Rain of Fire ability.

-----

8. Arioch

Arioch New Member

Guards is a matter of preferences. I do only use guards, archers and mages. I find all other melee units very situational. Of course this not the mainstream opinion, so you will find in the end that it is mainly a matter of preferences.

A different thing is Faeries and Gozura. They are very powerful and no other units can take their role (healing for MF and long range for GG)

9. ZappaUrBeefheart

ZappaUrBeefheart Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    None
    Can Maiden’s Faeries heal allies without using their special abilities?

For example, by targeting an ally with her staff.

———

10. Anton Amby

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    Nope, only her Tree and her passive.

11. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Where have you read this comment? Did you remember the date the comment was posted?

It's true that guards are considered to be quite useless in the old PvP system where CV can be achieved. They are not good for a speedy victory.

However, in the current PvP system, the guards are an essential element in lots of PvP IMHO. I even fielded 2 guards in some battles. The battlefield control of guards is important if you want lots of your regiments to survive the battles by allowing MF to heal them.

Arioch likes this.
  12. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

LC is a good substitute until you've CA. In Jin2 account, LC is part of army combo. I find LC as good as LA or CA when I don't use RoF. Furthermore, some warlords indicated that they don't like facing LC in AI army.

13. ZappaUrBeefheart

ZappaUrBeefheart Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    None
    How do you guys level up your units? Do you upgrade them all equally, or do you spend your upgrades on just a few of your top units, and only level up the others when you have plenty of extra upgrades to spare?

Right now my units are all between ranks 5-7. I sort of stopped upgrading them, because I don’t know what to do.

———

14. ZappaUrBeefheart

ZappaUrBeefheart Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    None
    Also.... what about potions? I basically buy them whenever the merchant has some in stock, but I haven’t actually used any yet. I figure they will have more utility once my units progress, and require far more XP to rank up.

———

15. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

How many and what class of regiments you want in your main army combo is determined by your combat style. It can range from 3 regiments up to 12+ regiments.

Less regiments give you a faster route to Rank 23 but you'll lack depth and tactics options in your attack. More regiments give you more depth and tactical options but longer grind to the endgame.

There are no right or wrong way to develop an army combo. All regiments have nearly same basic stat. It's their 2 abilities that set them apart. You need to study those abilities and see how they fit into your combat style. For example, most warlords would not consider Two-Skull because of his 2 hex movement but a small number of warlords are using Two-Skull very effectively. The question then becomes if you've a way to overcome the 2 hex movement handicap then Two-Skull becomes a powerful regiment.

We can advice you on the abilities of the regiments but no one can tell you with absolute certainty what regiments to use.

XP is the easiest commodity to obtain in WoA. IMHO, there's not much point in buying potions from Merchant. Save your gold for applying upgrades. You should be able to gain enough XP doing all battles and putting less use regiments in the Sky Arch.

A lot of warlords like to chase the WL. Personally, I don't see the advantage of tying your Regimental Rank to the WL. In my 2nd account, my Regimental Rank has been 2 levels behind WL since Rank 8 and I don't seem to suffer any disadvantage at all. In fact, I've no problem applying the require upgrades at all because by the time I'm ready to rank up, all the require upgrades are in the inventory.

16. Mimi

Mimi Member

Like Jin said, there are no right or wrong way to develop an army combo as there's no right or wrong way to play this game. You may find leveling up many regiments at the same time more enjoyable as it offer many tactic options or you may find that you only need a few regiments to fulfill your personal goals in this game.

When I first started my WoA journey, I aimed to level up 12-13 regiments because that's what you need to get up to WL23. However, at WL15, I switched to only leveling my top 6 regiments as my personal goal in this game has changed. My top 6 regiments are LA, CA, GG, DG, MF & DS, and I can pretty much do everything with just those 6 with the exception of high level of SH.

I do have a different opinion on the potions. I find that buying potions to use on my top 6 is a good way to keep them up with each other. Although I am only leveling 6 regiments, 1-3 of them still fall behind from the rest because you can only use max 3-5 regiments in a fight. In my experience, If you do enough SH everyday, gold comes in way-way faster than you can gain XP. Especially because I only have 6 regiments, after I put in all the upgrades I needed, gold accumulates faster than I can spend even after I stopped doing SH.

In addition, buying potions to use on top5 regiments has a snowball effect while leveling. The faster your top5 regiments gain XP/AP, the more warcoins, trophies, and gems you acquire, and you can always use your top regiments to power level the rest of your regiments later. This is why I even go as far as putting my top regiments in Sky Arch instead of having my lower regiments sit in the SA.

Again, there's no right or wrong way to spend your resources. It's up to you to see what is best for you.

RasClart and Jin like this.
  17. ZappaUrBeefheart

ZappaUrBeefheart Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    None
    Thank you for answering my questions in such great detail.

I understood the vast majority of what was said, except I'm not exactly sure what WL & SH are. World Leader &... ?

18. ZappaUrBeefheart

ZappaUrBeefheart Member

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    None
    I guess my only question now is how much should I rank up the units I’ve already unlocked? I.m still a long way from unlocking the majority of the units that players use in the end game.

———

19. Anton Amby

Warlord Level:
    Alliance:
    WLI
    WL = Warlord Level.
    SH = Stronghold.

ZappaUrBeefheart likes this.
  20. AngelRipper

AngelRipper New Member

Warlord Level:
    In my opinion, you're to much concerned with doing everything right in this game. Like others mentioned before, there is no one single and only way to play battles, upgrade units, spend gold, warcoins etc. I have pretty much got to the warlord level 22 without using Maiden Faeries at all, while most warlords consider this unit a "must have". Playing the game in different styles might get you to the final goal (be it the warlord level 23 or decent PVP rank or something else... ) sooner or later but it will get you there eventually.

BlackAdder666 and Jin like this.