1. Greetings Warlord!

Nice to meet you, my name is Eolande, commander of the Maiden's Faeries. Let me give you a warm welcome to the forum, a peaceful land where you can meet some other Warlords like you.
    Have we ever met on Aternum? I think I don't remember your name... you can click here to register a forum account so I will never forget it!

See you around!

Wurm's Cemetery PvP Discussion

Discussion in 'Tactics & Strategies' started by Gottspieler, Jan 20, 2018.

?

How difficult do you find Wurm's Cemetery?

1. 1 - Extremely easy

2. 2 - Quite easy

3. 3 - Slightly easy

4. 4 - Neither

5. 5 - Slightly difficult

6. 6 - Quite difficult

7. 7 - Extremely difficult

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gottspieler

Gottspieler Active Member

Wurm's Cemetery
    Wurms' Cemetery.jpg

Tiles: 40
    Width: 8
    Height: 5
    Rounds for CV: 4
    Foe Starting positions: H2, H3, G5, G2, G1
    Wurm's Cemetery is probably the hardest map for me in WoA, even for this map, there are strategies though, that help mastering it. Some ideas have already been posted in the maps and strategies thread by lesterio. You can find them in the spoiler. I'm sure that there are things left to say about this map though :)

Map Version with coordinates:
    Wurm's Cemetery Gridded.jpg

I will collect useful Ideas from the discussion in this starting post for easier Navigation.
    • Strategy: Do it last (Anton Amby)
    • For videos follow the link to the post

In this discussion you can post any Ideas, screenshots or Videos concerning Wurm's Cemetery and find out how to master this map.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Link likes this.
  2. Gottspieler

I could never really make something good out of the strategies posted in maps and strategies so far and I'm far from having a perfect Strategy for this map. This is what I normally do:

First Round:
    starter Archers in C3 and C5, double RoF on F2 and F4
    Starter Pikes on B5
    MF on A3, ToH on C4
    Mages on B4

AI First Round:
    When there are twin archers in the AI army, C3 archers will normally be hit by them but a part of the damage will be immediately healed up by the ToH in C4

Second Round:
    RP on E5, seize position Enemy Regiment downhill out of F4 forest
    Mages on D5, attack AI Regiment on E5
    Archers will attack AI Mages and whatever they reach
    MF will move to D2 most of the time and often attack Riders on F1

AI Second Round:
    If MF attacked Riders on F1 in second round now these riders will Cavalry Charge MF to C3 where they will be healed by the ToH :)

The rest is without much strategy...

Normally I Position two starter archers in C3 and C5 and double RoF on F2 and F4, Starter Pike on B5, MF on A3 with Tree of Healing on C4, any other mage on B4. If Enemy has two archers, C3 Archer will normally be hit by one of them but tree of healing compensates that pretty well. Second Round: Pikes will use seize Position from E5 to Enemy in F4 (often pikes or Guardians) and mage from B4 will finish him off. The rest is without System...

I once grabbed this really not so hard 3S fight (PS army) against pure starter Enemy. I lost 3 Regiments and couldn't even score CV.
    I started grabbing a bit late so this is what happened before:
    First Round:
    MF: A3, Tree of Healing on C4
    DS: B4
    RP: B5
    LA: C3, RoF on F2
    CA: C5, RoF on F4
    Enemies can't reach any of my units
    Second Round:
    MF: D2, attack foe RR on F1
    RP: E5, Seize Position with foe RP on F4
    DS: D5, attack foe RP on E5
    LA: E3, attack foe SM on H1
    The rest is in the Video.

This is really unsatisfying so I would be really glad about some comments on this fight or your tricks for this map (PS army Setups preferably because I Play with PS army too)

Managed to get a CV against 3S double archer double mage Enemy which, i know, is pretty easy to defeat but still my first 3S CV on Wurm's Cemetery.
    I used the same strategy as always (only exception is DS placed on A2 in first Round)

Grabbed a really difficult fight against 3 Guardians (TPB, DG, KG), CA and really strong 4☆ MF on this map today. The MF are a terrifying enemy on this map since they can simply pass your RoF and render the highly elaborated Tactics useless. MF were standing on G5 before i started grabbing :D

No CV unfortunately, I just couldn't do it... Any suggestions how to handle situations like this?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  3. Spiderman

Spiderman Active Member

I think with these kinds of opponents, you have to be resigned to losing a regiment or two. I'd send a Cavalry to get the CA, Archers to get the MF (maybe two, depending on how strong your Archers are), and probably your strongest Mage and a second Cavalry to deal with the Guardians (last unit is up for grabs). You're probably going to lose the first Cavalry who goes after the CA and your Archer will probably get hit hard if not killed if they attacked, but once you take out the ranged units, you should be able to "turtle" in the Forest spaces to bear the Guardian attacks and snipe with the Mage.

Whether that's a CV strategy though, I'm not sure :)

Gottspieler likes this.
  4. Gottspieler

You're right, there are definitely opponents, that make a CV impossible.. Still I'm trying to improve strategies for every map and every possible setup to get a little closer to the best possible outcome for every battle :)
    That's why I'm always interested in how others would face these battles :D

5. Anton Amby

Anton Amby Well-Known Member

My strategy on this map is pretty simple: do it last - Because if you want a CV, you're almost certainly going to lose some of your units. :D

Gottspieler and Primer like this.
  6. Gottspieler

Still a stretegy though... :cool:
    I'm goint to keep that in mind;)

7. alexbb

alexbb Active Member

I tend to vary my strategies a lot on hard maps, depending on the opponent. I'll share one approach on this map, especially against glass cannons armies. Hold the high ground. I keep 2 units on the B2 & C5 forests (C5 not recommended when G5 is pike). RoF on the swamp in D3. Rest of the units placed so I can still move into firing/hitting position after opponent RoF. Usually, one or two enemy troops will move to the area of the two swamps in the north to fire RoF (one sitting in the swamp). and the one from south will advance, but will still be in the lower ground (usually they move to hit C5 forest, while I have the upper ground behind the forest). Almost always, one or two enemy units will rest into the forests in F3-4, sometimes making them useless for the second enemy round as well. Second round I try to take care of archers + the enemy to the south, while staying either out of range, or protected from the other units (forest, or at least don't sit in lower ground). Than its just cleaning up. I'm only restarting this when I'm getting hit with one-two critical hits in the first round. Sure, I'm taking some hits, but with careful planning (checking enemy stats & especially vulnerability to either magic or melee) I'm getting CV with a rest time of no more than 1-2 minutes rest time for my army. Not to mention, I also use a lot the MF tree. Hope it helps & awesome job with the maps! Appreciate it.

8. Gottspieler

Thank you for sharing your strategy. I would really like to try it out in the future but I don't quite understand which regiments you're using exactly (Except MF). Would you mind explaining that? Have a look at how I described my strategy if you need some inspiration :)

And what's a glass cannon army for you? Only Mages and archers or do you also call it glass cannon when there is also one melee regiment amongst the AI army?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  9. alexbb

alexbb Active Member

Trying some photos, maybe not my best fight, but still decent
    First turn, after deploy
    1.jpg
    after first enemy turn
    2.jpg
    second turn - pretty lame that the crossbow did not drowned in the swamp, this had to expose MF so had to use the second RoF
    3.jpg
    third one
    4.jpg
    final
    5.jpg
    archers took a bit more to regroup, but not 2hrs.
    6.jpg

let me know how it works for you if you decide to try it out.

10. Gottspieler

Looks pretty nice! I love how LA and LC step into D1 and E2 swamps in their first round :D I'm definitely going to try this soon and report on how it worked... But you only use this one on double archers and mages, or did I misunderstand?
    What I'd be really interested in too, is what you would do with strong melee units like DG or TPB on this map :) These are the fights I hate most on Wurm's Cemetery o_O
    For now I added your post to the useful contents so far spoiler :)

11. alexbb

alexbb Active Member

Its even more efficient against melee units. Trick is to draw them somehow into your line of fire, either with a strong unit in forest or swamp, or trees and then fire away. I think special fields make this game so interesting (trees & hills mostly). And don't be afraid to take some damage from a RoF, as long as you can still get yourself free in the next round.

12. Mark Engle

Mark Engle Well-Known Member

Had a tough battle vs Blackadder. I think this map is a nuisance, and usually lose 1-2 units on full recovery. My TPB regiment took one for the team this time.
    Two obvious miscalculations: I thought my TPB whirlwind would kill the goblinoid archer, but I guess he was out of reach up on the cliff. Second, T'Rut didn't KO the DG with his critical strike....I guess that only works vs Jin? Had to use an arrow to finish him off.

Anyways, enjoy:)

Jin, NoName and Guru like this.
  13. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

You did very well with only the loss of TPB. Gave me an idea or two to handle BlackAdder top 5. His army combo is really tough for me to handle when I gear swap to get that extra 25WC on offer. The Mythical Armour made a difference on the defence of the regiment.

14. Jesper

Jesper Well-Known Member

I find Gozura really helpful on this map. As I always lead with a double RoF on this map, her ability to kill off enemies from afar comes in handy.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Guru, Bakkir and Jin like this.
  15. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

I was trying to do a quickie battle during my lunch hour without studying the AI army combo and got slaughter. In my haste to restart the battle, I pressed retreat instead and resulted in 2 regiments in full recovery and one in partial recovery.:confused::p Luckily I was able to clear 3 other PvP with no more regiments loss.

Came home from work and have a more careful look at the AI army combo. NOT one single archer in the AI army combo, twin pikes, twin mages & lone calvary. Light bulb went on in my brain and I fielded triple archers, MF & TPB.:rolleyes:

This is the easiest win in this map I've ever done for a 4S PvP.:) Warlords, you must have at least one archer in your top 5.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  16. Guru

Guru Active Member

Nicely handled and just too easy without 1 or even 2 archers on AI side.

Jin likes this.
  17. Guru

Guru Active Member

Just had the same map as 4s against 3 archers, one mage and cavalry. Got 4 regiments ko and 1 on partial recovery. That's the difference.

Jin likes this.
  18. Owain

Owain Member

This map is generally winnable with at most 1 tank unit lost. Enemy army units dictate tactics, with IR making it much harder.
    I usually attack along bottom edge, aiming to take out 2 units immediately, then use RoF to prevent enemy counter.
    Retreat to high ground, and pick off as enemy come across the low ground.
    If enemy have multiple archers or horse, then adapt depending on their position. GG very useful, as his goblin can cripple an enemy on low ground, ready for killing.

19. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

5v6 4S 199T against CuriousGeorge. FIrst time facing NAC. Am I imaging thing or did the Desecrated Pike regiment summoned by NAC performed Purifying Light??!!

It's a variation of an old tactic taught to me by Jesper. I was hoping FK's CS will ko LA or NAC but no luck. :( Not many CS from both sides anyway. I was trying to ko AI LA so I RoF my own regiments. VERY smart tactical move. :D:p

@BobTheBuilder and @Demo. This is one way I used FK passive ability.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    NoName likes this.